Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Awesome Blogger Award
So I'm dealing with some personal stuff off-the-blog. While I'm away, I scheduled a couple of posts - including a teaser about my "dates" to go see Frankenstein! This evening I have an award from Frannie Pantz (Thanks, dear!) who tagged me to give out seven random facts about yours truly.
1. I dislike peeptoe pumps. Not to say there aren't cute peeptoes out there, but I had this moment about two years into blogging where my brain went "Y'know, that just looks weird" and I haven't been able to unsee it since.
2. I love cheese. Almost every kind of cheese. I frequently have at least 5 or 6 different varieties in my fridge for various applications. The weirdest part? I can't handle drinking milk. Makes me awfully sick.
3. I love fandoms! Oops, outing myself here? I started the Harry Potter books at age 9 and quickly got sucked into one of the biggest phenomenons since Star Trek/Wars. And of course, after many many weeks of grief at the decline of such a fandom, I hopped onto the Star Trek train thanks to my swiftly growing love of TNG and the reboot movie(s). TOS is still hard to watch - I'll explain in #4.
I have recently hopped on board one of the oldest fandom trains (something in the realm of 100+ years old at this point) - Sherlock Holmes. I can't get enough! It's Sherlock-a-palooza in today's market between the US movies, the BBC version, and the up-and-coming Elementary (that nobody is happy about).
(I spend more time than I should on tumblr, and I don't even have one of my own. Eep!)
4. Oh-kay, I promised I'd explain. I don't like old movies. -is shot- No really, I find older movies to move at a very slow pace. Which is true, but excruciating for someone as manic as me. I frequently only listen to television or movies on in the background while doing other work. As much as I am a crazy nostalgic person, I'm rather comfortable in my cushy modern movie watching.
5. I have this really great idea for a story. Somewhere in the realm of 23 pages with lots of concepts, an entire outline, and even some concept art. I can't get this behemoth written.
6. I have really bad handwriting. It's sort of loopy like most girls' hand writing, but it starts getting odd the more I write. It becomes more abstractions of actual words, than words. This is due to the fact that I have some permanent damage in my hand from a broken arm/surgeries I had as a tween.
7. I am a complete nerd who likes big words. I used to use words as a kid that most people barely knew the meaning to. (And frequently got told off for it) I liked dictionaries, and every "big girl" book I read, I used the dictionary for words I didn't know. My vocab has grown extensively over time and with introduction to the internet. I sometimes feel sad overusing words in my comments or posts to express things, because language is so beautiful and complex, but we've reduced it to the bare bones.
One of the most saddening and terrifying ideas I've ever stumbled across was the idea of "Newspeak" from Nineteen Eighty-four. The removal of synonyms and antonyms.
On that note, I'm tagging everyone and anyone who wants to share 7 random things about themselves today.