|Tee - H&M, thrifted|
Silk skirt - thrifted, possible vintage?
Pumdals - Xappeal, thrifted
Necklace - via MomKnockout Rose - from the garden
Saturday, April 30, 2011
Friday, April 29, 2011
|Top - NY&Co|
Skirt, belt - thrifted
Wedges - Cole Haan
Bracelets - gifts from SarinaEarrings - via Mom
Sorry for skipping out on blogging yesterday! I had a doctor's appointment (check up stuff, I'm okay!), and then I renewed my driving permit, which meant lots of time spent waiting. I even took one of my exams yesterday. Busy! But Productive!
Today was spent watching the Royal Wedding. Checked out online, was too lazy to wake up early. I got dressed to go browse Goodwill - even though I have been a bad girl and may or may not have just ebay'd some more shoes. Boots, even. I'll leave you in suspense on that though - because I haven't gotten them yet. The thrifting wasn't exactly on my side today. I found tons of great jeans, even a brand new pair of Michael Kors ones, and they were all a size too small or too big! I still came away with some goodies, but I'll probably be skipping over the Super Saturday for the month of May.
Speaking of thrifted goodies~! This skirt! I bought it in the dead of winter when I was pining for warm sunny days like this (yes, the rain has passed for now). It was a size too big, but I knew I needed it. I got my handi-dandi sewing machine and took in the waist. It actually left the A-line skirt a little fuller, a little more 50s.
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Jacket - Thrifted
Top - Como Petites, thrifted
Pin stripe Trousers - Gap, thriftedShoes - Eject, ebay
After my speech, the teacher asked if I knew about Naked Without Us: Fashion & Music Festival. No way! I hadn't heard of it, but it sounds like a fabulous event. If anyone in the Middle Tennessee (Or Southern KY) area might want to meet up and see some local designs - toss me an email. I'm going to try and go at least one night and write up a post about it.
Monday, April 25, 2011
|Tunic - Just Jeans, thrifted|
Tank, skinny jeans (thrifted) - MossimoFlats - United Nude
I stripped this sheer tunicy thing off the mannequin. I always feel bad when I do that, but they always put the cutest things on them! If you watched my blog last summer, you know that I shun sleeves. I got all excited over this sheer thing because it let me cover up a bit more while still staying cool. It's already miserably hot in the afternoons. But this sheer tunic is going to be heavenly over a tank dress later on. A little looking on the tag shows that this is from 10/08, and the tag says "Thanks for shopping at Just Jeans ".
Today I opted for skinny jeans, but I'm planning to look for more non-skinny jeans next Saturday (May Super Saturday). I only have 4 pairs that I really like wearing, and two of them are skinnies. Boo. I hope I can find another good pair of wideleg ones or even a nice bootcut.
I'm still working around growing out my pixie cut. The sides take forever to grow and the back grows like wild fire. I've been doing some minor self trimming on the back and bangs to let the sides catch up. I need to go find some headbands until it gets to a more manageable length. But I kind of like what it's doing today.
(Also for those that are the praying type - D and I have received some tentatively good news. And while I don't want to jinx it, I could use all the good vibes right now)
Sunday, April 24, 2011
Dress - Casual Corner's Annex Petite, thriftedShoes - X-Appeal, thrifted
This whole outfit cost me under $5. The shoes were $4, the dress 99p. YEP! A little research has turned up this dresses origins - Closed down in 2006 (I've also found quoted 2009), Casual Corner's Annex Petite [Sophisticates] was a long running department store spin off of Casual Corner. So this dress is at least older than I expected. I should have guessed from the "size 8" tag. Anyway the dress reminded me of the super-saturated Georgia O'Keefe paintings I saw a couple years ago. I came across this dress during the Super Saturday but refused to pay $4 (I bought 4 dresses already. 4 x 4 = 16!)... I figured I was safe enough to leave this kooky dress until 99 p day, and it stuck around for me. I love when that happens.
Friday, April 22, 2011
Top - BCX, thrifted
Jeans - NY&Co., thrifted
Belt - thriftedPumps - Poetic License, ebay
I also realized that looking through my outfit photos I haven't worn these pumps in awhile. They even fit now with the extra padding. Silly me!
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Scarf - thrifted
Top - Express, thrifted
Jeans - William Rast for Target, thrifted new-stockMinnetonka moccasins - gifted, thrifted
Everything here was thrifted! I'm completely bogged down by work right now. Soft shoes, stretchy skinny jeans and a cottony top are what I need for busy times. Less than two weeks and I'll be finished with this semester of school.These jeans still need hemming, but so far I've mostly worn them around the house. I'm kindof getting over the skinny jeans. I'll hang onto these and the dark ones I have for tucking into boots, but I think I'm over them for summer.
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Tee - Theme, thrifted
Skirt - B.B. Dakota, gift from Sheila
Clear bangle, Belt -thrifted
Pumps - Fluevog
Pumps - Fluevog
The Blue Star by Philip Levine"Show me the place," he said.
I removed my shirt and pointed
to a tiny star above my heart.
He leaned and listened. I could feel
his breath falling lightly, flattening
the hairs on my chest. He turned
me around, and his hands gently
plied my shoulder blades and then rose
to knead the twin columns forming
my neck. "You are an athlete?"
"No" I said, "I'm a working man."
"And you make?" he said. "I make
the glare for light bulbs." "Yes,
where would we be without them?"
"In the dark." I hear the starched
dress of the nurse behind me,
and then together they helped me
lie face up on his table, where blind
and helpless I thought of all
the men and women who had surrendered
and how little good it had done them.
The nurse took my right wrist
in her strong hands, and I
saw the doctor lean toward me,
a tiny chrome knife glinting in
one hand and tweezers in the other.
I could feel nothing, and then he said
proudly, "I have it!" and held up
the perfect little blue star, no
longer me and now bloodless. "And do
you know what we have under it?"
"No," I said. "Another perfect star."
I closed my eyes, but the lights
still swam before me in a sea
of golden fire. "What does it mean?"
"Mean?" he said, dabbing the place
with something cool and liquid,
and all the lights were blinking on
and off, or perhaps my eyes were
opening and closing. "Mean?" he said,
"It could mean this is who you are."
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
|Dress - made by MIL|
Belt - Guess, gift from Keely
Trench - Hot topicShoes - XAppeal, thrifted
Why have I been working my butt off for free time, again? Oh yeah - PORTAL 2! Last night, D and I stood around two hours for the midnight release. I felt the need to put some effort in for the night. So I tossed on my favorite green shirt dress, and this freaking amazing belt that Keely gifted to me. I can't wait to pair it up with so much stuff.
|Click to embiggen|
Monday, April 18, 2011
Top - La Belle, thrifted
Jeans - London Jean, thrifted
Boots - Frye 8R Harness in Tan
Sunnies - FossilBag - Tyler Rodan Alabama Crossbody
Mondays are bad days for getting dressed. Hubs goes to class (and sometimes work too) and I often spend my Mondays like most people spend Sundays. I catch up on all my work for the rest of the week, do laundry, and generally run amok. So you get yesterday's outfit instead of today. Yesterday I met up with my mom and rode the bus all over. I decided boots and jeans would be nice for the 70F day. The black shirt however wasn't the smartest idea.
These jeans are quickly becoming my favorite pair. The fit is sublime, they're slightly stretchy so are comfortable all month long and hit right around my belly button so they don't dig like lower waisted jeans. This little coppery top was one of my Super Saturday purchases. At $2, I swooned. It's like someone threw copper paint at me.
I also touched up my hair color. Not sure if it's noticeable, I tried to stay around my current shade, but my roots were in dire need of a touch up. I'm pretty happy with it.
Friday, April 15, 2011
| Grey/Silver top - H&M, thrifted|
Jacket - Target
Belt - thrifted
Jeggings - Target new stock, thrifted
Boots - Eject
Cuff - homegrown vintage via my mom
|fabric swatch of the top|
1. When it comes to me personally – I owe a lot of who I am to: My best friend, Michael. We met in high school during a mutually rough patch and have been best friends ever since. He's been there through the best and worst times in my life and I thank him for it.
2. When it comes to me professionally – I owe a lot of who I am to: My mom has always supported me to make my own decisions. I have to thank for my choices in how I finished my high school career and that she supported my year off to get married. She's never held me back from anything I've ever wanted to do.
3. When it comes to the art of blogging, I’m grateful to these people for helping me through some rough spots: So many of you have helped me greatly so I'm sorry if I can't mention each person by name - because everyone has really helped me. Melissa has been a major sweetheart. Through all she's gone through she still takes the time to drop an email or tweet to check up on people. Keely has been a great sounding board and swap partner, helping to ease those "ease up on shopping times." Sheila has been a long time supporter of my little blog and is always one of my biggest sources of inspiration.
4. One blogging challenge I’m grateful happened because it made me stronger was… To persevere through the burnout, the lack of inspiration, the body hate, the style confusion, the good bad and the ugly. I have come a long, long way from 2009 to finding myself on a personal and style level. This whole blog was created to bring more awareness to myself. I still have a form of disconnect but I find myself anew each day. Able to start from an outfit and build up my day into something more.
5. To my readers, I’d like to say…THANKYOU! My blog would be dead and gone the way of my cooking blog without you. I have been encouraged everyday by so many wonderful people and I thank each and everyone of you who visits, reads, or comments here.
Additionally I want to thank Wendy B for her post(s) at the Huffington Post, including yesterday's of Sheila's Leopard Week. Being included in the greater blogging community is a wonderful feeling.
Thursday, April 14, 2011
Tee - Theme, thrifted
Jeans - William Rast for Target new stock, thrifted
Scarf - thrifted
Earrings - liberated from my momSandals - Michael Antonio
I was awarded the Versatile Blogger Award by Amber Lena of Fashion Bargain Shopper Extraordinaire. I think I'm also supposed to give 7 random things about myself.
1. I LOVE thrifting. Not just shopping. I tend to get worn down while "just shopping", but I can dig through the racks at Goodwill for hours. It's just so much more exciting finding those special one of a kind pieces, the vintage, the brand new pieces for rock bottom price. And the most special are the few designer pieces I've come across. I've found a couple more than I've bought, but it's always a special feeling when I find them.
2. I'm lactose-sensitive, egg-sensitive, and caffeine-sensitive. It really sucks. I usually eat whatever I want, but I feel infinitely better if I avoid the above.
3. I'll spend $200 on shoes without feeling an ounce of guilt, but $4 for a dress will have me waiting until 99p day at Goodwill to actually buy it.
4. I'm a former goth, raver, nerd, rocker. I've decided to let all my love of clothes, genre, style and interests blend into me and not define myself as I did in school. I may not have the words to define me, but I'm working on who I am.
5. I don't really know how to do anything masterfully. I can do basic sewing. I can read music and play many instruments rudimentarily. I can fix my own computer issues if I really really have to. But I don't have a strong affinity to one topic where other people can turn to me for advice. Except relationships, I guess. Lol!
6. I'm a tv junkie. Not regular tv (though I always have that on too), but I love watching marathons. I've just finished Life on Mars (UK version) and heading onto Ashes to Ashes the sequel series this weekend. I'm currently on a British/BBC tv kick, but I'm also partial to True Blood, Blood Ties, Dresden Files, Charmed, Buffy, Star Trek TNG, or any kind of sci/fantasy show.
7. I love tiny drink cans. The squatty 8oz Cokes, Jones GABA tea cans, those little slim sodas. They're so cute!
Tag you're it: Theresa (style tree), Rebecca (MinnChic), Cara (Cara's Closet), Keely (Casual Chic Kiki), Christine (Futurelint), Melissa (Working Mom's Closet), Sheila (Ephemera), Hillary (ByHillary), Erin (MyClosetShouldNotBeScary)... And anyone else wanting to be tagged!
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Dress - All Saints
Cardigan - Rugged WarehouseShoes - Eject, ebay
I've fallen head over heels for white-out looks. This dress was the first white piece of clothing to ever capture my heart (except my wedding dress). I think the reason it DID is because it was like someone took the elements I loved from my wedding dress (full skirt, lace-up, fitted bodice) and made it into a cotton day dress. I promised myself if I bought this pricey frock that I'd make up opportunities to wear it.
|Click to embiggen|
But today is all about the black and white. I have another presentation tonight, but my night classes have learned to expect more over the top outfits out of me.
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
|Jacket - Thrifted|
Toria Top - All Saints
Wide leg pants - Express
Necklace - borrowed from MomLouboutin Mumbai flats - ebay
I could have sworn I've worn this exact outfit before, but my outfit history shows I've worn these trousers with these shoes and these trousers with this top (and another top layer) but never all three together.
I have another presentation for tomorrow - Wish me luck!
Monday, April 11, 2011
|Lace tank - eberjey, thrifted|
Vest - All Saints
Jeans - NY&Co, thrifted
Moccasins - Minnetonka, gifted thriftedNecklace fall - All the chains I own
This outfit is what I wore Saturday to game. It was 91F! I wore loose sleeveless layers, but I wish I had even gone with a skirt or cut-offs. The building we were in had a busted a/c, we did have fans though.
I was going to double post again today - but we've got 'severe storms' rolling through again. So I'm staying safely tucked inside and trucking through my Thoreau book for class and catching up on my Google Reader.
Sunday, April 10, 2011
|click to embiggen|
I should warn those attempting this - measure, measure, measure. You can see the edges of a cami next to the dress. I tried a similar technique, but did not measure correctly. So the leftover piece is now in my pile of practice fabric.
Friday, April 8, 2011
Flower - from the yard
Top - Oscar by Oscar de la Renta, thrifted
Trousers - Express, thriftedPearl Hart Pumps - Fluevog
This was an outfit originally planned for Stripes Week, but due to
weather constraints got pushed back.
1. Lingerie inspired - This is a look that can go really wrong, but I want to dip my feet in and try. I thrifted a very pretty (honeysuckle! shade) tank with lovely lace details. I'm hoping to find some more femme pieces like that.
2. White Out - I've become obsessed with white/cream/eggshell looks. Rather I always have, but my goth roots have always held onto black to strongly for me to pursue it. I'm now looking into incorporating more white, but with an edge. See my banner photo!
3. Saturated Colors - Alternatively, I'm busting out the colors. Pastels look terribad on me, but super red, royal blue, marigold yellow, burnt orange - love color.
4. Wide Leg Pants - Okay, Skinny to wide leg. I can appreciate both for their funtionality. I think I'm going to look for more pants with the cut of the trouser I have on today. I really like the fit of the wide-leg, non low waist. Finding those right pairs are going to be tricky though.
5. Wedges - Boo, is this even a trend? Oh well, I'm still hunting a good white/silver wedge sandal that has some sort of edge-y feel to it. I don't really have a lot of shoes that will "go" with the above white out trend so that's definitely on the list.
Five trends I will not be partaking of: Maxi dresses, playsuits, Midi skirts, Clogs, and Crochet/Tassels. These are really not fitting with my current wardrobe. I feel they would be misfits in my closet.
Thursday, April 7, 2011
|Top - LOFT, thrifted|
Leather skirt - thriftedParis Pumps - Fluevog
Oh glorious 80F day! I think Spring is finally here to stay. This wrap top was a surprising find on my thrifting Super Saturday haul. It's got poofy sleeves that I actually like. It will be fabulous to layer over dresses, but I couldn't resist pairing it with my cognac leather skirt (Yes I know it looks rather burnt orange). I'm very much in love with brown and black combinations lately.
I also finally hunted down some cloth heel grips - so these 'vogs fit sublimely. I got got some to go in my CL flats too. So now all my shoes are back to full wearability (That's totally a word).
Top - Express, thrifted
Necklace - rugged warehouse
Jeggings - Mossimo, thriftedPumps - Fly London
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Linen Blazer - Sisley, thrifted
Loose Tee - Theme, thrifted
Belt - Rugged Warehouse
Skirt - A.ByerAmelia boots - Miz Mooz
I even did a red lip today inspired by Hillary's latest post. I'm usually very paranoid about my lips looking small. I got this lipstick for a costume a year ago, but it's actually a pretty fabulous color.
Tuesday, April 5, 2011
Dress - Old Navy new stock, thrifted
Harness - Audra Jean
Boots - 8R Harness FryeJacket - target (years and years ago)
I picked up this fab little dress in my Saturday Super Haul. It wasn't really outstanding in terms of cut or color, but the crinkly gauzy fabric had me drawn straight to it (and summer). It was also a great piece to try some alterations on. I hacked off the hem and added a thicker strap - look out for the sew sunday on how I did it.
Today the sun is blindingly bright, as if yesterday's storm didn't happen. We came out fine: only some downed tree limbs and stuff blown into the yard. Hope everyone in the South Eastern area is okay and safe. I know some areas are still experiencing storms, take care!
Monday, April 4, 2011
Friday, April 1, 2011
Vest - Fresh Brewed, thrifted
Tee - Old Navy
Jeans - Fire brand, swapBoots - Eject
Guest posts are a good way to gain new exposure. What do you think is the appropriate way to go about securing a guest spot?
Get to know your fellow bloggers. If you just communicate and become friendly - they're more likely to think of you when looking for guest posters.
Leaving comments is essential to growing your blog. But how can you leave a comment without coming across as ‘Follow Me. Follow Me!’?
Just comment with what you feel. I don't always leave lengthy comments, but I try to always say something when I can. I like people to know I'm reading, checking in on their blog, and enjoy their content. If someone decides to follow me, I want it to be because it's beneficial and enjoyable to them, not because I begged it.
In interacting with other bloggers where do you draw the line between seeking support and begging for exposure?